Started in France, Roulette is one of the most popular casino games and can be found in most casinos anywhere around the globe. Though it is very simple, easy to play and understand, if you’re a beginner, it will be great if you’ll have a guide to learn the rules, and the basics of the game. Researching and reading can help you understand the game very well, and of course, it should be together with luck.
The wheel and the table are consist of two colors – red and black and different jumbled numbers from 1 to 36 including zero. Depends on the player, they can choose to bet in different categories. It may be on a single number, group of numbers, by color – the red and black, high or low and odd or even numbers.
Placing the bets before the game starts is required. After the players are done placing their bets, the dealer will spin the wheel and throws in a small ball. Whichever the ball landed, that’s the winning number.
There are different types of bets. The roulette board is divided into two areas which is the Outside Bets and Inside Bets.
Outside Bets: Basically, the players need to place their bets on the outside area of the board to make it count on the Outside Bets. Though it has a higher chance of winning, the payouts on these bets are lower. Examples on the Outside Bets are High or Low bet (1-18 and 19-36), Red/ and Black bet, Odd and Even bet, Dozens, and Columns bet.
Inside Bets: Opposite on what is said above, the players need to place their bets on the inside area of the board to make it count as an Inside Bet. Though it has a lower chance of winning, the payout here is higher. The bets can be done in on single or multiple numbers – either vertical or horizontal. Examples of the Inside Bets are Straight, Split, Corner, Street, Double Street, and Basket.
There are different types of roulettes – European, American and French Roulette. Though the boards might look similar to each other, they are definitely different in rules and in the gameplay.
- European Roulette: The European Roulette wheel has a total of 37 numbers – from 1 to 36, including the zero. The player that have only one zero pocket has more advantages and higher chances of winning as well.
- American Roulette: The American Roulette has 38 pockets or numbers including from 1 to 36 plus the zero and the double zero. American Roulette has a different rule. There is a possibility to lose if the ball lands in zero or double zero. However, there’s what we call Surrender Rule, wherein instead of the overall loss, the half of each even money on the outside bet is returned to the player.
- French Roulette: Though the French roulette and European roulette looks similar, the French roulette offers a chance not to lose your bet even if it lands on the zero pockets. In the European roulette, when the ball lands on the zero pockets, that means you lose. The French wheel offers you two choices – the En Prison Rule where you don’t lose your bet but you’ll stay on the same bet or the La Partage wherein you get the half of your bet.
Tips and Tricks
- When picking a color (either red or black) pick first the one in the outside bet – this will be free and will not cost you any. Always remember, there’s always a chance for the same occur to win consecutively.
- There is no difference in betting on the rows, and columns from betting with colors. If you win, don’t bet everything again. Keep some so if you lose on the next round, you still have a penny to bet.
- Be observant and try to remember the winning numbers especially the colors. Keep an eye on what color that balls lands often, and on what number. Keep track of your wins and losses as well, it might help you on the next round.
- When betting on colors, don’t place your chips in both colors. Make sure that it’s a single color first, and continue until you win. Then continue until you recover from your losses.
- Try increasing your bet when you win. And if you lose or continue losing, try to lower your bets or change color and strategy
- Bet by adding the last two bets together then you can leave with a profit even if you lost more games than you won.
Playing in the casino is fun and entertaining. For some, it might be a hobby but some take it seriously. Make sure that in every casino you go, you must know and follow their etiquette rules. Some of the most important rules are listed below.
- Always be aware of the betting time frame. Every roulette and other casino games have only a particular betting time before the dealer starts the game. You’ll know it’s time to place your bet when the dealer says “Place your Bets” and “No more bets” when the time frame is done.
- In every casino, you must know that you need to exchange your cash to chips before going in. Not all the chips are the same. There are chips for roulette and every other game. When joining a roulette table, exchange your casino standard chips to roulette chips and do the same after playing.
- Keep everything under control – your words, emotions, temper, and attitude especially when winning or losing.
- Help others place their bets or let them help you. When some parts of the roulette table are hard to reach, you can politely ask other players to put the chips on the table and explain exactly what bets you want to make. If it’s the other way around, don’t hesitate to help other players place their bets.
- When you are in a certain casino, follow their tipping rules. Make sure to know their tipping rules or politely ask the staffs.
Roulette is a game of luck and strategies. Just keep your eyes on the ball and you will then see a pattern of which number it will likely land. Now that you know the basics of playing Roulette why don’t you place your bets and win?